On Our Cover
American Indian Heritage Day
photos courtesy of Jefferson Patterson Park
Saturday, August 16, offers the rare opportunity to learn about the culture, cuisine and history of the people we displaced. Visit a woodland wigwam, see stone tool-making, pottery-making and archery. Cherokee storyteller Joseph Stands With Many dances with his stories. All at Jefferson Patterson Park Museum in St. Leonard.
Hale and Farewell
by Norbert M. DuBois
Ballet Theatre of Maryland commemorates Edward Stewart
and continues with new artistic director Dianna Cuatto.
Politics is Killing the Bay
by Sara Ebenreck
Author Howard Ernst isnt hysterical
but we should be
In Chesapeake Bay Blues, a 32-year-old Naval Academy political science professor breaks the Cult of Courtesy to debunk the Grand Illusion that were saving the Bay.
- State Reptile Feels the Ax
Marylands money-saving recipe makes terrapin soup
by M.L. Faunce
- Rebecca T. Ruark Is Some Dame
This old boat is now a National Historic Landmark
by M.L. Faunce
- Do You Believe in Magic?
Marylands little horse that could is alive and racing
by James Clemenko
- At Chesapeake Arts, Local Playwrights Shoot for the Stars
Mike Field aims true with Return of Albion
by Eric Smith
- Way Downstream
- On the Eastern Shore, water was so wretched last week that Kent Countys Betterton Beach was closed after people reported rashes and blistering from toxic algae
- In Kentucky, bourbon spill from Jim Beam plant pollutes Salt River, pickles its fish
- In Wyoming, how land preserved by Nature Conservancy helps Dick Cheney feel safe
- This weeks Creature Feature: In Europe, the summers heat wave is so bad that bears at the Madrid Zoo are enjoying huge blocks of ice with fruit frozen inside.